Smokey Sweet Potato and Sweetcorn Soup
Perfect for autumn!
This healthy and filling soup is packed full of nutrients thanks to the sweet potato and sweetcorn. It has a warming smoky undertone from the paprika and cumin, whilst the lime juice and sweetcorn add a burst of freshness and flavour.
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 25mins
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
250g sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 litre of vegetable stock
4 fresh sweetcorn cobs
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
To serve: soured cream, chopped coriander and a few tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and sauté for 5 mins, then add the potatoes, garlic and chilli and sauté for a further 2 mins. Stir in the paprika, cumin and tomatoes and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the stock, a good pinch of salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Whilst the soup cooks, shuck the sweetcorn cobs: pull back the green leaves and ‘silks’ to reveal the sweetcorn, twist the leaves and hold firmly to remove them. Now hold the cob vertically on a board and run a sharp knife down the cob so the kernels fall off. Rotate and repeat until the cob is bare. Repeat with the other cobs.
- Add the sweetcorn to the soup with the lime juice. Cover and simmer for a further 7 mins.
- Use a stick blender to blend the soup until nice and smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve the soup hot in bowls topped with a dollop of soured cream and a handful of chopped coriander. Serve with tortilla chips.