Hot Drinks With a Tangy Twist
WORDS BY MICHELLE ALEXANDER
With the cheerful festive season long gone, winter seems grey and extremely cold. The ideal cold-free haven would be snuggled up on the sofa, with a fluffy blanket, watching TV. Hot drinks can make you feel warm inside, but the same old hot chocolate or tea can start to become dull. How about spicing things up with some chilli drinks?
It’s not uncommon to buy hot chocolate with a hint of chilli, but there is no fun in making hot chocolate from a packet! Chillies are also very good for you as they contain a lot of vitamins, so drinking hot chocolate suddenly becomes healthy… or so we like to think!
Why not try this delicious, Creamy Chilli Hot Chocolate?
CREAMY CHILLI HOT CHOCOLATE
• 50g dark chocolate at 70%
• 30g chocolate with chilli (Lindt)
• 1 tsp cocoa powder, 100% cocoa
• 40 cl milk
• 20 cl cream
• 1 tbsp honey Lune de Miel
• 1/2 chilli, seeded
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 vanilla pod
• 1 pinch of salt
1. Make a slit through the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into a medium sized saucepan. Also add the vanilla pod. Pour 2/3 of the milk, honey and the rest of the spices, except for the chilli. Boil for a few minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces. In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate together with the cream. Pour the blend into the first saucepan. Pour the remaining 1/3 of milk into the chocolate saucepan to rinse it and then pour it all into the first saucepan.
3. Add the half chilli (seeded) and simmer for 2 minutes on medium high heat. Then take out the chilli, as well as the vanilla pod. It’s ready to serve!
Find more tasty recipes at www.delscookingtwist.com
Or, if you want something a little less creamy, why not try and make a Spiced Chai Tea? Chai tea is well known in India for its wonderful health benefits. Adding spices to the tea just gives it an extra kick of flavour sending your taste buds on an adventure.
SPICED CHAI TEA
◦6 cups water
◦3 tbsp. loose leaf black or Darjeeling tea
◦1 cup milk, steamed (or creamer)
◦1 cinnamon stick
◦12 whole cloves
◦1.5 tbsp. black pepper or peppercorns
◦2 tsp. nutmeg
◦2 tsp. ground ginger
◦6 cardamom pods
◦1 tsp. vanilla extract
◦1/2 cup raw sugar or honey
- In medium bowl, bring tea to boil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Strain and let steep. In same bowl, boil all spices for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add spice mixture to steeped tea.
- Blend well. Strain and transfer to teapot. Let steep and blend well for a few more minutes.
- Sweeten with sugar or honey. Add milk as desired for a latte. Blend that well, too. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon if desired.
Makes 6 cups.
More wonderful recipes can be found at www.flanboyanteats.com