Healthy Eating Issue of Chaat! Out Now!
Our Winter issue is here! We’re celebrating this season with plenty of warming ways to eat healthy food! Alongside the classic features that subscribers love, such as Spice Rack and Top of the Poppadoms; we’ve got advice on celebrating Chinese New Year from cooking legend, Ken Hom; and spoken to the godmother of Indian Cuisine, Madhur Jaffrey. Shappi Khorsandi stops by to have a giggle with us too!
Our Healthy Eating and Great British Vegetable features are packed full of tempting recipes that are easy on the waistline, whilst being wholly delicious. No endless salads or fad diets here – just plenty of great tasting winter warming advice and recipes for you to try at home! There are also top tips from our friends at Slimming World amongst advice from other healthy food enthusiasts. On the topic of health benefits in food, Chris Smith, aka The Diabetic Chef had provided some simply stunning deserts that will compliment any spicy meal perfectly.
We’re also celebrating Fudco’s 35th birthday, with brand new recipes from award-winning food author, Mridula Baljekar.
As always, there are a number of interviews with top chefs including Vivek Singh, and recipes from Ken Hom, Madhur Jaffrey, Jo Pratt, Tom Kitchin and Nadia Sawalha – who has created this fabulous recipe below!
RECIPE: Nadia Sawalha’s Splenda Spiced Chicken
SPLENDA® Sugar Alternative has a great sugar-like taste but a fraction of the calories of sugar per serving. SPLENDA® has teamed up with healthy cooking guru Nadia Sawalha to offer recipes and tips on the small steps you can take to reach your healthy eating goals and kick-start a better, new you. Find out more at www.SPLENDA® .co.uk
3 large carrots
½ large cucumber
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp. salt
2tbsp Splenda Granulated
3 sprigs fresh mint – leaves only, shredded
2 cloves garlic – peeled and crushed
11/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 lime, zest and juice
1 tbsp sunflower oil
4 chicken breasts – butterflied
- Preheat a griddle and keep it hot until ready to use.
- Peel the carrots then use the peeler to shave the carrot in to ribbons. Shave the cucumber, too, but make sure to discard the middle seeds. Place both in to a bowl with the shallot, adding the salt, Splenda Granulated and mint leaves. Stir well and set aside.
- Stir together the garlic, cumin, lime, turmeric and oil and rub over the chicken. Place the chicken carefully on to the griddle, probably 2 at a time and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Make sure that you leave the chicken to seal for a few minutes before touching.
- Drain off the vinegar marinade from the carrot then serve the salad with the chicken. All you may need is a handful of punchy salad greens.
– Use tofu instead of chicken for a vegetarian option.
– Roll the lime between the palms of your hands to release as much juice as possible.