Annabel Karmel talks to us about how to encourage young families to the world of spice
Annabel’s Chicken Yakitori with Noodles
(For the whole family)
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp honey
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp oil
4 chicken thighs, boned and cut into large chunks
125g medium noodles
1 large courgette, sliced into batons
1 large carrot, sliced into batons
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 red onion, sliced
75g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
75 ml chicken stock
4 tsp soy sauce
4 tsp sweet chilli sauce
How to Cook
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (Fan oven)
- Measure the mirin, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger and garlic into a small pan. Bring to the boil then reduce by a third, stirring. Leave to cool.
- Mix the cold marinade with the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes. Season and thread onto 6 skewers. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Brown the skewers for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides until golden, then place onto a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions and drain.
- Eat the remaining oil in a frying pan or wok. Fry all of the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes, and then add the noodles, stock, water, chilli sauce, soy and seasoning and heat through. Serve with the kebabs.