A Recipe for Diwali Celebrations 2015
Saudi rice cooked with lamb and garnished with fried nuts.
Ingredients: 500g of Kohinoor Platinum Basmati Rice (available at Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons), washed and well drained,
1kg lamb pieces (if vegetarian replace with Chickpeas), 2000ml of water,
2 cubes of chicken stock (or vegetable stock),
2 tbsp ghee,
3 medium finely chopped onions,
2 medium finely chopped tomatoes,
3/4 tsp white ground pepper,
3/4 tsp ground coriander,
3/4 tsp ground turmeric,
3/4 tsp ground cardamom,
3 crushed garlic cloves.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Place lamb pieces and water into a large pot. Bring to the boil and remove froth as it appears.
2. Add the chicken stock cubes, cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until the lamb pieces are cooked.
3. Remove lamb pieces from the stock. Add the Kohinoor rice to the stock which should be around 1500ml, and boil it for 10 minutes or until almost cooked. Drain the rice and set aside.
4. Heat ghee in a large pot, add and cook the onions, stirring for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Add the cooked lamb pieces to the onions and mix carefully.
5. Combine the yoghurt with the tomato, spices and the garlic and pour over the lamb pieces.
6. Add the cooked rice over the meat mixture, cover and cook over a low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is cooked