Mother’s Day – Celebrating the memories of our Mother’s
Ten year old Fazila who was born in England and being only once to Bangaldesh tells us about her mother’s speciality.
Now there’s another reason to look forward to the weekend because of ‘Mothers Special (saag prawn).’ The whole family loves it; all the flavours and spices make our mouth water. Nothing gets us faster to the dining table then this famous dish. I like the Saag Prawn dish because of the delicious flavour the spinach has, and the succulent taste of the prawns. It’s the same with my sisters, and my father who loves everything about the way that my mother prepares it. He says that she has a special touch.
During our short visit to Bangladesh we watched from the banks how fishermen catch fresh prawns and a cocktail of fish, which my grandmother brought for us and my aunties cooked that day for dinner.
It combines the versatility of prawns and the healthiness of spinach. It’s also quick and easy to make. We hope you try out this dish and enjoy it as much as we do!
A loved spicy recipe
The requirements for this dish are:
4 large garlic cloves (crushed),
2 small onions,
1 tbsp of cooking oil,
2 bunches of spinach,
6 green chillies,
1 kilogram of frozen peeled prawns,
2 tsp of salt,
1 tsp of turmeric,
1 tsp of powdered zeera,
2 tsp of chilli powder,
2 tsp of curry powder
1 small tomato.
Heat cooking oil in a medium saucepan or wok.
- When the oil is hot add crushed garlic, when the has browned.
- Add the sliced onions.
- Immediately add the salt, tumeric and zeera stir into the onions, until the onions are soft, on a medium heat.
- Then add chilli powder and curry powder stir into the onions.
- Continue stirring the onions and spices for five minutes on a medium heat.
- Now add the prawns to the mixture and stir
- Add the chopped tomato.
- Stir in the sliced green chillies
- Add 1/2 a cup of water, cover saucepan and cook for seven minutes on a medium heat.
- Uncover the saucepan then add spinach (remember to wash the spinach and cut down into small slices or you can buy the ready to use fresh spinach from a local supermarket 2packets are recommended) cook for five minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- My mother’s special saag prawn has now cooked, turn the heat off and serve with white rice.